Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Talk About Large Format Photography?!?

I used to shoot with my 4x5 Cambo Legend on a regular basis. Some of my clients had needs that required its use. Then digital took over. I haven't shot with it since 2005 or so... but, guess what? I'm breaking the large format camera out of storage and plan to use it again. Why? Because there's something about giant pieces of film that help unshackle the artist inside me. But, that's not all... I'm also going much, much bigger!




I just picked up an old 12x18 process camera for only $40 from a print shop that hasn't used it in years. My plan is to get it set up to take 11x14 film and do some head and shoulder portraits. I've made a lot of connections over the years, and I was thinking about doing a project that took advantage of all the people I've met and know. I was thinking about shooting what I will call "Faces of North Texas". It will focus on interesting, notable, famous and/or special people in the Dallas, Fort Worth and Denton area. All of it shot on 11x14 film! Wowzers!!!

We'll see how long it takes me to get this project up and running, but it should be a blast when I do. I can't wait to start shooting through film that costs $15 to $20 per frame (and that doesn't even include processing and shipping fees)! Am I crazy?!? Yes.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Horace said...

that is so cool, have you taken any shots with it by now? I'd love to see.
I was just talking with a friend of mine who's a printer about their old printshop camera. Just a few years ago a guy bought it for scrap, such a shame.

April 20, 2012 at 8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sadly, I sold it to another photographer and used the money towards some more 8x10 gear. I still have an 11x14" film holder, though. I'll get around to shooting some 11x14 one day!

April 20, 2012 at 11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home