Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Good And The Bad, Round Two...

A while back I made a post on some really great photography that I found and some not-so-great photography. I figured I would do a second installment, hoping the not-so-great photographer doesn't mind a little criticism...


First up is Garden and Gun Magazine, a publication that seems to always hit the mark. I chose the cover to represent the "winner", otherwise I'd have to scan nearly every single page of this issue to show you all the amazing photo work they run! Seriously, their work always seems to be perfect!

Oh, and don't let the shotgun photo on the cover fool you. The publication is filled with lifestyle features about fine food and wine, clothing and fashion accessories, healthy living, traveling, and a million other topics besides firearms. And the firearms that do take up the modest percentage of the magazine are all handcrafted, beautiful works of art - not your average Academy Sports $300 special. And speaking of Academy...



Unfortunately, Academy and New Balance have to be our losers in this round. I know that photography is very subjective. I know this style/look is very hot right now. I know many of you may disagree with me. However, I feel like this one just misses the mark completely.

This Urban Outfitters "trying to look like a snapshot" look works on certain subjects. I just don't see it working on a pair of athletic shoes. I want an advertisement that looks like what I wish I could do in my running shoes - run through the park as I win a 5K. I don't think the "I took this photo with my iPhone and then used the Hipstamatic App to make it look retro" style of photography conveys that feeling at all. Maybe I'm just too old-fashioned.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home