Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Sharing tips...

Everyone wants more work (at least I assume everyone does).  The best way to get more work is to help your friends get more work, too.  Seem like a backwards idea?  If someone else gets a gig shooting something, isn't that one less job I can get?  Glass half empty people may see it that way, but not me.  I know from experience...  

I try very hard to help other photogs.  When they have a question, I try to answer it.  If they want a tip on how to do something, I'll show them how I do it.  I've even loaned out gear to close peers/friends when their equipment broke down at the last-minute.  

I mention this because Rex Curry wanted to see my portfolio and my studio space.  He's a great photographer - at least my peer, if not better than me.  I didn't hesitate to help him out.  I showed him a way to put together a good portfolio, told him where to look for more advice/tips, and discussed other important details.  

Why help someone else who might get a job I want?  Well, it's not really like that.  First off, it is rare that two people will shoot so similar in style that they are literally competing head to head.  An art director or photo editor is going to need a certain style of photography, and it won't always be yours.  I'm not worried about him stealing my clients.  And he's safe, since many of his clients would probably not want my style of shooting.  

So, I help him with his portfolio, and one day he may help me figure out how to maximize my stock image sales or where to buy new invoicing software.  It's a give and take kind of thing.  And trust me, the photo biz is a tough business, so you want as many people on your side as you can find!  

Secondly, many of my best clients have all been referrals (and nobody will refer you if you aren't a team player).  Other photogs and photo editors have passed along my name as the person to go to for a certain shoot.  I have passed along work to other photographers, as well.  I was out of town and missed a couple GREAT shoots last year, but wanted to make sure my clients were taken care of.  I gave them the names of a few friends that I knew would get the job done right.  

It builds a relationship with your fellow photogs, keeps your clients from scrambling to find someone to fill your spot, and eventually pays you back (those same photogs you referred work to will eventually need help covering a gig, you know).  Call it Karma, call it networking, call it whatever.  I always try to share in this business...  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home