Friday, April 3, 2009

No money from U2? Are you CRAZY?!?

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/fa20090320a1.html  

I was shown this link and I'm not sure how to react.  Part of me respects the pure artist in this story, but part of me wonders just how smart of a business move this was?  

I have billed major labels up to $7500 for an album cover shoot in the past, and that wasn't even for a disc like this - one that will surely go multi-platinum.  So, we are talking about a cover shot worth a minimum of $20k, if not $50k or more...  I've heard of artists spending up to $100k on artwork before, so who knows what could've been negotiated here?!?  

Now, if he doesn't need the money... fine.  Or, if this is part of a bigger plan... fine.  But, this kind of pure art, not selling out thing is just too hard to do in the modern world.  I'm not saying you should completely sell your soul for a paycheck.  However, you do need to balance your artistic integrity with your need to feed and clothe yourself.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home