Monday, March 23, 2009

150 update...

I've had some people ask me about my last post, and if I was suggesting that social networking websites (like facebook) are a waste of time and effort.  That's not really what I was trying to say...  

Instead, I was pointing out that the average person is capable of maintaining and keeping tabs on one hundred and fifty friends, give or take a few.  These are the people that you can develop an ongoing relationship with.  These are the people that you can interact with on a regular basis.  

If you have a friend list of five hundred, one thousand, or more, you will find it very difficult to keep up any sort of constant, consistent, and sincere dialog with all of them.  Any of the "others" - the ones that don't get original posts or messages from you - are exactly that...  they are extras.  

These people may glance at your posts and bulletins, but will not necessarily feel compelled to attend your event or buy your product because of you.  They don't feel that same intimate connection that your core friends will.  So, any bulletin sent to them is just another advertisement.  If your offer is interesting enough, they may accept it (come to my concert, buy my new cd, vote for me in this contest, etc...), but don't expect them to act JUST because they are your "friend".  

That's what I meant by the previous post.  I DO think that social networks are very useful.  I was just trying to dispell the myth that they alone will bring you fame and fortune.  Instead, they alone will act as just one more tool - or avenue - for you to reach people.  However, the majority of those people will have to be swayed by the content of your comments, and not merely by the fact they are on your friend list.  Get it now?  

I spend time following up with friends and industry peers through website social networks (linkedin, facebook, myspace, industry forums, etc), but I also make phone calls, go to physical meetings, drop off my portfolio to be touched and thumbed through.  I talk to friends and ask them to refer me to their friends.  I go out an ask for work.  When you break it down, each item is effective, but is only one small part of a bigger marketing and networking picture...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home