Thursday, March 19, 2009

Speaking of assisting...

I met with a potential client today.  They liked my book, but I doubt I will be shooting for them.  I did my research going in.  I knew what types of photography they did and who their clients were.  They appeared to do mostly product and tabletop work, with some fashion and some lifestyle shots, too.  

Well, my editorial style fits into the lifestyle category, so I set up a time to meet and show my work.  When I got there, I discovered that they do a TON of product photography and a little lifestyle photography.  They also have staff photographers that handle most of the work, but do keep a list of contract/freelancers for overflow or to fill in on occasion.  

No big deal.  I might not get much - or any - work from them, but I DID make some new contacts.  Plus, I got to tour their beautiful studio space and facilities.  It was nice.  So nice that I started wishing I DID shoot product all day.  Well, maybe not.  I don't think ANY place could make me want to shoot product all the time.  

But, I'm getting off track here.  My point is that I was thinking ahead.  I knew that several of my connections in Dallas are photo assistants.  So, I asked what there need was, and I was told they are always looking.  Good news for my faithful Janikphoto blog readers!  

Now, he did make a point to tell me you MUST know the Capture One software, which I believe runs Phase One digital backs.  What, you don't know it inside and out?!?  Well, if you read my post below, you'd know that you still have hope.  Why not contact this company and ask if you can free assist a few times, until they feel comfortable enough with you on set.  You can learn how to use the software in the meantime...  

So, if this sounds interesting to you, contact me and I'll get you in touch with the studio.  And, I'll post other assisting and shooting opportunities here when they come along, so keep your eyes open for them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home