Thursday, March 26, 2009

Are you asking for it?

I've known this for a long time, but it always helps to hear it again.  You have to ask for it!  Yes, just remember those simple words when planning your marketing strategy.  Your professional photography business won't get clients if you don't ask them for their business.  This isn't Field of Dreams and they won't come just because you built it.  

I think the last person to say this was Hal Samples.  He was talking with my wife about the current state of the economy and how Dallas photographers are holding up through this tough time.  When she mentioned the conversation, it reminded me of just how important that one little phrase can be.  

I am currently marketing myself to more editorial clients, trying to expand my magazine and newspaper exposure.  I am also branching out into the commercial world, trying to get more advertising assignments.  I want to make sure these potential clients know that I want to work for them.  I don't leave any doubt in their minds that I consider shooting for them to be important.  

These clients see tons of photographers every week, and I bet most are too timid or scared to speak up and actually ask what it will take to shoot for them.  We all think that our work - our portfolio or tear sheets - will be enough to make us stand out.  I've noticed that the most successful people are the ones with the good work AND the guts to ask for more.  

So, are you asking for it?  When you see a potential client, do you mention that you'd love to shoot for them.  Do you ask what you need to do?  Do you let them know that they will be a valued client?  Next time you speak with someone about your business, make sure you do this...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home